Mike & Camille +2
Friday, May 4, 2012
Cellulitis :(
Poor Steven!! I promise we don't beat our child! Here's the story. I was doing hospital orientation which was every day for eight hours the first week...when I got home Friday I noticed Steven's eye was a little bit red. When I asked Mike about it he said it had kinda been red all day, so I decided to just watch it. It got to where it was a little swollen, so I called my sisters to see if it could be allergies or what. I didn't think it was pink eye because the actual eye itself wasn't red, just the skin around it. Anyhow, we decided to just let it be and see how it looked in the morning and take him in to a quick care instead of an ER. Well...around 10:30 Steven woke up crying, which is so not like him! He sleeps so well usually! When I got him out of the crib this is what I saw...
It had swollen so much! So of course I freaked out a little bit and I was ready to take him in right then, but after getting some benadryl in him and talking with more sisters, we decided that it was okay if we did wait till morning. So that's what we did!
The next morning I got him out of bed and he couldn't even open it :( above is a picture of him right before we took him to the doc, so after a little bit of being up he was able to open it some thank goodness. What the doctor said is that he must have gotten a bug bite or a little scratch or something that caused an infection in his skin called cellulitis. She gave him a shot (really two shots, one in each leg because the dose was too big to go in one leg) and said to bring him back in 24 hours. She wanted us to keep a close eye on him and make sure the swelling didn't get worse and if it did then we'd need to take him to the ER for IV antibiotics. We kept an eye on it and kept up with the benadryl. I was back to work the next day for a 12 hour day shift, so Mike had to take him in the next day.
Can I tell you how grateful I am for modern medicine?! Look at that eye 24 hours later! Can you believe it? She sent us home with azithromycin to give him orally twice a day which he takes like a champ! My sweet baby boy is back to normal looking and I'm so glad that everything is okay and he was such a trooper through it all. Even when he woke up in the middle of the night with his eye so swollen he was fussy, but we could still get him to smile and laugh. Love my boy!
I actually look like I have a little bit of coloring when I'm next to Steven! Poor kid got my coloring :/
The next big news is that Steven has teeth! I didn't even know he was teething silly boy, until my sister noticed his bulging gums and a little tooth under the surface! Two days later, his first tooth arrived and I could tell a second was on the way. That one didn't break for another week though. Don't know if you can really tell in the top one, but the bottom one shows them both pretty well. Its super cute because you can kinda see them some times when he smiles and talks now :) The only bad part about them is he can no longer give me kisses on my chin...it hurts because he bites with them now! Sorry for the post overload, but I think that somewhat updates us now so hope you all enjoy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so happy to get a nice, big update :) I've been wondering how you guys are doing. Poor Steven! I would have had a heart attack if Kayley woke up with an eye like that. Glad to hear he is feeling better. I'm also happy to hear that you made it safe and sound to Texas. We sure miss you guys and are glad you are doing well.
ReplyDelete