Mike & Camille +2

Mike & Camille +2

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Life thus far

Here's a little bit of an update on our lives. When we got back from Ohio we found this on our door... A few of my friends came and decorated it! Isn't it cute? Thanks Sharon and Kassie :)

Then I started work. The first week was just basic hospital orientation where we went around and saw the different departments, learned the protocols, they gave us safety lessons, yada yada yada:) Boring stuff but at least I got paid for it! Now I only have a dysrhythmia class every Wednesday and am spending two days a week orienting out on the floor. Its gone really well so far. I like my preceptor and it's nice to have experience under my belt. All of the other new people are fresh out of the nursing program, so I'm not quite as lost as they are :) In fact Saturday my preceptor basically left me alone with a few of the patients while she hung out at the other nursing station and watched our "crazy" patient who was very disoriented. It felt good to be in control again and not have to follow anyone around. I'll be glad to be off orientation, but at least right now I get steady, guaranteed hours so no room to complain. They run the shifts differently at this hospital, from 6-6 instead of 7-7, but I think I'm going to like it alright. The only downfall is getting up earlier, but with being closer to the hospital here I'm only having to wake up about 15-20 mins earlier then down in Utah so its all good. Mike gets to be at home all alone while I'm at work, which can get pretty boring for him. He has gone and filled out applications for work, but no luck thus far. School starts on the 10th of September and I think he's kind of excited for that. Cute story about him...my first twelve hour shift out on the floor came on a Thursday and when I got home I was greeted by my handsome husband who had a surprise for me. He covered my eyes and put me in our room so he could finish preparing dinner since I got home a little early and he wasn't expecting me yet. Then he took me to Porter Park and we sat down for a delicious picnic. It was so good! And I was really excited I didn't have to cook anything :) Here are a few pictures of that.

Mike with our meal: hamburgers, beans, and he even brought me pickles even though he hates it when I eat them! Thanks honey:)

Oh yes, and he made us some fruit smoothies...very good! :)

Yesterday I woke up kinda early so I decided to make some homemade bread! Yea! I've been wanting to do it for awhile now, but I always seemed to find a reason not to do it. Truth be told I think I was just kind of nervous and thought it would be very time consuming and take all day. But it wasn't that bad! I used the wheat grinder my sisters, Angela, Jeanine, and Valerie, gave me, which I think might have woken up Mike. Oops! Sorry honey :) I was worried I wouldn't get the temperature for the water right to activate the yeast, but was happy when it "bubbled" beautifully...then while it was rising and I had to turn it every 10 minutes, I went in and cleaned in between the turnings, and later for the actual loaf rising, Mike and I went for a run. Who would have thought making bread could be so productive with all of these dovetailing activities? :) I felt very good and like a lot had been accomplished by the end of the morning. Below are the pictures of the baked loaves.

Trial and error is sometimes the only way to learn. I think they turned out okay for a first timer, but the middle was a little doughy and the tops a little more done then I would like. I'm thinking next time I'll lower the rack so the tops aren't as close to the top and turn down the oven more. It is kind of a temperamental oven and I have had to play the guessing game on how hot it should be. I have been lucky so far, but in this case I think it could go down a tad bit more.

Other then that, we have enjoyed it, especially Mike! :)

The last thing I wanted to mention is a congratulations to my sister, Marjorie, for having another little boy! Its her third and she is really excited! He arrived yesterday at around 1:00 in the morning and I think he looks a lot like his brothers and very Meservy. Congrats, welcome to the family little guy, and sure do love ya! :)

2 comments:

  1. My comment from a few days didn't post! I just think you guys are soo cute:) The bread looks really good...to bad your oven is such a pain. Hopefully you'll be able to temper it. How's Mike's finger? Did he ever get stitches? Those dang Cutco knives!! Didn't you warn him?;) You are so adorable...loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cami!! It was great reading about everything. I've missed you. What a sweet husband you have for making you dinner--make sure you REALLY point our things you like and they usually keep doing them! Your bread looked fantastic!! Congratulations! We just barely got our internet up and running, so now I will have a magic jack you can call me on, 435-565-2930! Yay! Love you and also glad things are going well with your job--wow, you were left ALONE?? JK. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete